Spirometry at Work
Competence Persons Course
Cost Per Person:
£379.00 (£454.80 inc VAT)
Quote available on request.
To arrange for an on-site course, you can give us a call on 01723 584250 or you can fill in the form below detailing your requirements so that we can send you an individual quotation.
In partnership with Albacare, Castle Group are able to offer this nationally recognised course which provides training and assessment for Occupational Health Professionals seeking knowledge that will allow them to carry out spirometry health surveillance in a competent and effective manner. It is designed to meet the requirements as laid down in the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (Amended 2005) (COSHH Regs) and H.S.E. Document MS25
Who Should Attend
This course is designed specifically for Occupational Health and Safety Professionals and people who are responsible for or who run spirometry health surveillance in industry. Organisations require such programmes to be run by a competent person.
Aim and Objectives
To introduce the delegate to the principles of prevention/early detection of Occupational Lung Disease, together with the knowledge to carry out lung function health surveillance and evaluate the results.
On completion of this course, the delegates will:-
- Describe the measures required to implement the COSHH Regulations in relation to Occupational Lung Disease.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge of the actions required to reduce the risk of Occupational Lung Disease to the lowest level reasonably practicable.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the applications and use of respiratory protective equipment
- Demonstrate knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the respiratory system.
- Be knowledgeable of the effects of irritants and sensitisers on the human body and the respiratory system in particular.
- Be knowledgeable of the requirements of mechanical and biological accuracy checks on equipment
- Demonstrate skill in performing accuracy checks on spirometry equipment
- Be knowledgeable of the requirements for laboratory calibration of equipment.
- Demonstrate the ability to explain the role of the questionnaire prior to lung function testing of client
- Demonstrate the ability to explain appropriate lung function testing process to clients, ensuring their understanding.
- Demonstrate competence in performing lung function health surveillance.
- Demonstrate proficiency in interpretation of spirometry results.
- Demonstrate an in depth knowledge of the referral system and implementation as appropriate.
- Demonstrate the ability to explain the results of the testing to the client.
- Demonstrate an in depth knowledge of the principles of good record keeping.
- Demonstrate an in depth knowledge of the importance and requirements of the confidentiality.
- Be knowledgeable of the management reporting system in the workplace
The course consists of 2 days, which are structured in the following way-
Following Registration and Introduction, the course will cover Occupational Lung Disease, Occupational Asthma, COSHH and Health Surveillance, together with a Pre-test questionnaire followed by Spirometry at Work, Spirometry practice Interpretation of Spirometry,
The Interpretation of Spirometry, Spirometry Practice, Case Studies, an Assessment ending with the Evaluation of the Course.
Venue and Mode of Delivery
A 2 Day Spirometry At Work Training Course held in Bathgate – Scotland with a practical and written assessment which will take place on day two and successful delegates will receive a Certificate of Competence on successful completion of the Assessment.
- £0.00 (£0.00 inc VAT) per person per night
What our delegates say
"My impression is the way the course is organised in a simple and comprehensive way. Demonstrations were ..."
Inacio Pumba, BP Angola
17th Sep 2013
Noise At Work
"Well delivered, good information and discussion. Relevant to my employer and my personal development...."
S Thompson, GKN Land Systems
24th Sep 2013
HAVS and Whole Body
"I have enjoyed the training course and found it very good...."
Martyn Wales, WDH
27th Sep 2011
HAVS and Whole Body
"Presentation flowed out of Mac's experience which was enjoyable and helpful...."
Malcolm Honeysett, Middlesborough College
13th Nov 2012
" Very good. I was worried about the math part, however was surprised and pleased that Stephen made it eas..."
Paul Gillespie, Wakefield Council
20th Mar 2018
Noise At Work