Environmental Noise Open Learning
Competent Persons Course
Cost Per Person: £775.00 (£930.00 inc VAT)
Quote available on request.
Course Length: 14 days
To arrange for an on-site course, you can give us a call on 01723 584250 or you can fill in the form below detailing your requirements so that we can send you an individual quotation.
On this 2-week blended learning Environmental Noise course, our highly experienced and qualified tutors will cover all current legislation and standards, as well as teaching you how to use your equipment and how to analyse the data it measures, so that you’re fully competent at measuring environmental noise on completion of the course.
Who should attend this Environmental Noise training course?
This method of open learning will suit you if you are motivated and love to learn your own way. It might be that you have been on a course before, have carried out this type of assessment before, or simply have a propensity for self-guided learning. If you feel that you learn better in company or face-to-face with a tutor, then it might be better for you to attend one of our residential courses.
This course is also ideal as a refresher if you have completed one of our courses in the past, or if you are based overseas and travelling is difficult.
The open nature of this course means there are a number of elements or ‘modules’ to complete, which do not necessarily have to be done in a particular order although you might find that some elements follow others more naturally.
Module 1 - Overview webinar download
This is a downloaded webinar to get you up to speed with the basics and used to some of the terms and concepts so that you can get the most from the supported training sessions. There is also the first of the informal quizzes to complete following the video to test any pre-existing knowledge. Don’t worry, this course does not require previous knowledge of the subject matter, just a willingness to learn in your own way!
Module 2 - Live Video Tutorials
Split into six sessions over 2 weeks, each 90 minutes long, so you have time to fit them into a busy schedule and have breaks between sessions to catch up on anything you missed and to ask off-line questions of your tutor if needed. One of these sessions will be a guest speaker slot, to give you a varied perspective on one aspect of the course.
These sessions are also recorded, so if you miss one, you can catch up, albeit without the ability to ask live questions.
Further to this, you get an extra one-to-one video tutorial session with your tutor, during which you can discuss anything you wish and get any specific questions answered and address any areas you feel you need extra assistance with.
Module 3 – Video Lecture Downloads
We have several pre-recorded lectures that cover specific sections of the syllabus, which allows you to sit and take in the information and note down questions to ask later. There are then quizzes or tests to test your knowledge leaned from that lecture.
Module 4 – Practical Session
You will be given guidance on how to carry out practical measurements, including a video on what to do and what not to do, a printed guide including a measurement do’s and don’ts checklist and the opportunity to ask questions before you start. All you need to do is measure something at work or home and video record yourself doing it and submit the video for review. You will then receive group feedback from your tutor in one of the live video sessions.
Module 5 – Online quizzes or tests
Although these do not form part of the assessment grade for the course, you will be required to partake in some of these and we do not like to leave you if you need extra support, so we will make sure you can get through them in full!
Module 6 – Project Report
The assessment for this course is based on a workplace project, which would normally include measurements taken at your company, followed by a report written up and submitted for marking. If you are unable to take measurements at work, then it is possible to use home DIY equipment, which can be done whilst the module 2 sessions are in progress. You have 3 months from the end of the course to submit your report.
What will you achieve?
Successful completion of the six modules will result in the awarding of a 3 Year Certificate of Competency, giving you the evidence, you need to prove your suitability for performing assessments in the workplace.
What you get as part of this course:
To ensure you have all the information and resources you could possibly need for completing this course, we will provide you with a host of learning opportunities, assistance and material to guide you through this competence qualification.
- Welcome Session. A short live video chat with a member of the Castle team, which allows everyone to introduce themselves and help with ironing out any technical difficulties with the connections, video and sound. We will also go over the structure of the course and what you can expect
- Video downloads. This starts with an introductory ‘overview’ webinar followed by some pre-recorded ‘lectures’. These can be watched at your leisure and at a pace to suit you.
- Live video group sessions. There will be 6 of these interactive sessions spread over 4 weeks, during which you will receive content and then be invited to participate in discussion and Q&A sessions. These sessions are recorded in case you miss one, or if you want to watch it again later! These will normally be delivered via Cisco Webex
- One-to-one video or telephone tutorial with your tutor to cover any areas of concern or specific questions from any part of the course. This will usually be for about 1 hour but led by you.
- On most courses, there will be a guest speaker slot, in the form of a live tutorial session for the group.
- You will have access to private Facebook group for Q&A with tutor and other delegates
- Online folder with supporting documentation and resource material
- You will have telephone support for issues regarding the training structure and organisation throughout the course if you need it and this can be with any one of the Castle team.
- Equipment Hire – If you do not have any means of making measurements for the practical element of the course, we can hire you the equipment at a preferential rate. If you then go on to purchase the system within 3 months, the hire fee will be credited.
- Scientific calculator to help you with the maths. Don’t worry about this as we will walk you through all of this step-by-step, so maths really does not have to be your strong point!
- Online quizzes and/or tests to help you and your tutor assess your progress. We really want you to be able to successfully complete these before moving on to the next session.
- Link to complete course feedback
What our delegates say
"Very well accepted, treated very well, very organised, very nice dinner. Simon was an excellent host...."
Taraq Hussain, the Hearing Clinic
1st Jul 2014
"I think that this course is very informative and provides really good training about audiometry. The lec..."
Jill Durbidge, HMYOI Wetherby
15th Feb 2011
"Good overall content of course giving the relevent information...."
Nick Buckley, High Peak Scaffolding
3rd Nov 2015
HAVS In A Day
"Enjoyable course where active delegate interaction is encouraged...."
Emma Hopes, Serco
27th Sep 2011
HAVS and Whole Body
"the course was great, what initially seemed lika a complez subject was taught in a very easy to understan..."
Emma Wares, JLL
29th Nov 2016
Noise At Work